Mar 17, 2012

Diabetes


Diabetes is a huge base to cover. There is so much that goes into this disease. (I had a physiology teacher who said she had two classes about diabetes. That is half a year learning about diabetes.) So I am going to go over what I see as important.

Diabetes is a very serious thing. There are two types, type I and type II. Type I is genetic and usually is diagnosed as a child or teen. (sometimes it is older that is why it is important to go to the doctor for your annual check-ups since diabetes is one thing they check.) Type I is something you can not avoid but you can control. See doctor about how to treat type I and if need be, see a nutritionist about what you are able to eat.

Type II is one that can be avoided and is not really genetic. You should be screened for diabetes if you are overweight, have diabetes in your family, or over 45. It is a serious condition that can be cured if you  loose weight. "What is this? You can cure diabetes by loosing weight?" answer is YES!

I hear over and over again people say "Oh I almost have diabetes but it is not that big of a deal." It is a big deal and should be treated as such. If your doctor says you are on the verge of diabetes you need to get to the gym that day and every day from there on out.

You also need to change your diet. You can eat those cabbage tacos and say this is helping your diet but let's be honest, you just ate four of those cabbage tacos at 200 calories each. Portion control and what you put in and out of your body will change your life to the better. Also, if you follow and do what I say on this blog you can change that around as well.

This is real and occurring all over. I know three people who have type II diabetes and two who have type I and only two of those five people are actually taking control and changing their lives for the better. I also know one who has actually cured herself of type II diabetes because she lost the weight and became active.

If you think you have diabetes or if you want to learn more about diabetes check out the American Diabetes Association website at http://www.diabetes.org/. The best way to avoid diabetes is to educate yourself about it. 

Keep active and you will keep healthy.

References:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002194/
http://diabetes.webmd.com/diabetes-types-insulin
http://www.diabetes.org/

No comments: