Sep 17, 2014

Educating Yourself by Making It!

Even if you are a terrible cook you really should know what is in your food. How? By actually making that food! I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much better your home made food is than processed food.

I made some royal icing from scratch once. It was such an awakening of what is in it. Basically it was butter and powdered sugar. I almost felt sick when I ate it. From this I decided to make more foods from scratch. I found home made mac and cheese is far more delicious and has less sodium. I have found other ways to make classic dishes from scratch that really help me keep my nutritional intake in check.

It is fun to experiment too! Sometimes you can add vegetables to a dish you never thought would taste better with vegetables. Like brownies and spinach/carrots or Chickpeas in cookies. You may still get the sugar, but you are one step closer to enjoying vegetables!

Home made Mac and Cheese (stovetop)

 

 


Ingredients
 
pound pasta, any shape
1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2-3 cups shredded cheese, like cheddar, monterey jack, or colby
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
Optional extras (cook before adding): Ham, bacon, onions, peas, mushrooms, carrots, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower

 Directions

Warm milk with pasta, add flour, stir until flour is dissolved. Add cheese, salt, mustard and extras. Heat until cheese is melted.

Just a little slower in time, not as processed and so much more yummy!






No comments: