Oct 15, 2014

Preparing Healthy Food for the Winter

 I am so terrible at canning. I have tried several times with minimal success. Canning does have its downfall. Some nutrition is destroyed in the canning process. Canning also requires some salt (not really enough to be harmful). Freezing your food is a great alternative and helps keep nutritional value in your food, especially when it is done right.
 



Did you know you can freeze tomatoes? I chopped mine up and crushed them with my hand a little. I then put them in baggies, labeled and dated them, and laid them flat in my freezer so they will freeze evenly and quickly. They are amazing for salsa, tacos, soups, and many other yummy things. Tomatoes are overly abundant right now. I am sure your neighbors have some they need taken off their hands! Grab some and freeze them for a healthy start to your winter.



 This is my Beef and Barley Stew recipe put into bags. All I have to do is pull them, put them in a big pot, fill that pot with water until the frozen stuff is covered and boil for 40 minutes. It is so healthy and so easy!

Also, NEVER just throw away you garbage (waste from the kitchen) Here are all my ends and peelings. I have a corner in my garden I put all my food waste (do not put oils or meats in your compost area. It attracts rodents). In fall, I gather fallen leaves and put in my compost pile with some compost starter. In Spring, I have a lovely pile of compost for my garden from my garden. It saves money, time, and helps the environment. Remember, energy can not be made, so make sure you use the energy we have.


No comments: