Jan 11, 2012

Gardening....Exercising and nutrition!

So you see the little old grannies out in their gardens making flowers grow, pulling out some fresh new vegetable, and meticulously searching for bugs and weeds. Is this really exercise? They are not pulling any dumb bells over their heads. They are not running on that treadmill with a grade of 8 and going 7 mph. How can weeding and tilling, and trimming really be exercise?
A study done in Iowa State University pulled out calorie counting for the more strenuous activities of gardening for 30 minutes.

  • Digging Holes - Men: 197 calories, Women: 150 calories
  • Planting - Men: 177 calories, Women: 135 calories
  • Weeding - Men: 157 calories, Women: 156 calories 
You burn about 160 calories from riding a bike at a leisurely pace for 30 minutes. Now what exactly do you get out of that? A sore butt? How about with gardening you can get a fresh, organic strawberry batch and a sore butt? Sounds better to me! (yum...strawberries)

I have been doing a lot of studying of how to garden from a bunch of books my grandparents gave me. I have started my organic mulch pile from my fruit peels, leaves, and grass clippings. No artificial anything is my goal to keep the good nutrition of the natural earth in my families diet. I will update you on the physical exertion and result of my garden when it gets to growing season.

According to my books, if you want to have your garden ready for the summer you should start prepping for it now. GOOD LUCK! GO ORGANIC!

No comments: