Jan 26, 2012

Wheat vs. White

I have been asked this question numerous times; Is wheat healthier than white?

Let's do a flash back. In the past, the only healthy bread that was available (to those who could afford it from the bakery at 6 cents in the 1940's) was red whole-wheat bread. It was rough and hard to the taste. Wonder bread was one of the first to come out with whole wheat white bread made by an albino grain that reduced the severity of the grainy taste but kept the same nutritional value. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Bread)

So now we know a little history of bread. So let the truth be known, not all wheat breads are healthier than white. Just because the bread looks like it has all kinds of grains in it does not mean that it is full of just healthy fibers and carbs. The most important thing is to look at the nutrition label.
"When you're selecting any kind of bread, read the label carefully. Choose breads that list "whole" grain as the first ingredient, such as whole wheat, white whole wheat or whole oats. If the label doesn't say "whole" first, it isn't a whole-grain product. For example, a product label may simply say white wheat, which is not the same as white whole-wheat bread." (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whole-wheat-bread/AN01512)

I personally prefer the Sarah Lee Iron fortified white bread for kids for grilled cheese and other sweeter sandwiches. My son and myself have a problem with keeping our iron up so I chose the iron fortified to make up for that lost essential micro-nutrient. I was not raised on wheat bread so the hard taste is really hard for me to swallow. I will choose the whole wheat Sarah Lee soft an smooth for a tuna fish sandwich or lunch meat sandwich so I can enjoy the taste and get my fiber.
For pasta I like to do a half and half. Half white and Half wheat. That way I maintain the taste of my meal with out sacrificing too much of the healthy.

It is really hard to get accustom to the taste of whole wheat. It takes time and patients. Don't give up on it. Keep trying. There are a lot of wonderful alternatives now. Read the nutrition label if you are not sure. For example, I read a label about instant brown and white rice. The instant white rice is actually better for you. However, with the real rice the brown is healthier for you than white.
Be conscious, take the time to do your research before you buy. The little things can make all the difference in the end.

No comments: